Friday 13 January 2012

Christmas Eve Italian Style

?The Feast of the Seven Fishes? is a popular Italian tradition celebrated on Christmas Eve, which involves a large meal revolving around numerous seafood dishes.� My mother?s family used to celebrate it years ago with dishes like crabs in spaghetti and fried smelts among other things.� My husband?s family, who are first generation Italians, celebrate it each year with the feast beginning around 5:00 p.m. and ending somewhere around 11:00 p.m. (I?m not really sure because I?ve never managed to make it to the end!).

A few years ago after moving from New York, I wanted to continue the tradition, but didn?t want to spend all night in the kitchen and wanted to make the dishes a bit healthier.� Most of them were either fried or consisted of either no or very little produce.� I finally managed to come up with a menu that satisfied everyone?s tastes while keeping it nutritious.� I make two dishes?the traditional fried calamari (my husband wouldn?t let me get away without making that) and Cioppino.

Cioppino is a seafood soup that originated in San Francisco and while there are different versions, they are all basically tomato broth-based with a variety of herbs and spices.� The Fruits & Veggies?More Matters web site has a great, healthy version of this soup in their recipe database that I?m including.� I should note that I do also add fresh mussels and fresh shrimp to mine and I use cod as my fish of choice.� Serve this with some crusty bread and a side salad and it?s a delicous and filling meal.� Buon appetito and I hope you have a wonderful holiday!

See all posts

No comments yet.

Source: http://www.fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org/?p=22784

Baking Games Easy Cooking Recipe Ideas Preparing Food

No comments:

Post a Comment