Friday 27 January 2012

Balsamic Cranberry Jam

I remember a few years ago when my mom made cranberry sauce from scratch for the first time. Neither of us had any idea it was so easy. Seriously, here?s a recipe. (Spoiler alert: cranberries, water, sugar, cook 10 minutes). It?s truly embarrassing how many years we ate canned cranberry sauce without knowing any better.

She and I still disagree on how it should be made, though. She?s a purist. Little more than a few walnuts added to it. Me, I?m a fan of adding mandarin oranges.

Anyhoo, this year I had some leftover berries and the need for something with some oomph to accompany brie at a tiny little affair to celebrate the arrival of a tiny little dude (code for a sip-and-see). But I didn?t want sauce, per se. A jam! But no oranges?hmm?balsamic vinegar? It goes well with strawberries, so why not? Guess what?it?s good! So here?s a little recipe for some balsamic cranberry jam. It?s a little tart, a tiny bit sweet and with just a hint of balsamic flavor. You could use this in place of your average holiday cranberry sauce or year-round with cheese, cream cheese, on toast or with some sliced apples or pears (if you want to be healthy?and I do?I guess).

Balsamic Cranberry Jam
yield: about 10-12 ounces

1/2 cup water
6 ounces fresh or frozen cranberries (half a bag of fresh)
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons brown sugar*
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

Bring water and cranberries to a boil. Reduce heat when�the berries split, add salt, brown sugar and balsamic vinegar and simmer until desired thickness (stirring occasionally). About 15 minutes.

I used brown sugar instead of white because I like the molassess-y taste and thickness. You can use regular sugar, but it may not be as jammy.

This entry was posted in Breakfast, Recipes, Side Dishes. Bookmark the permalink.

Source: http://lesleyeats.com/2012/01/10/balsamic-cranberry-jam/

Food Recipes Cooking Sets Best Recipes Top Chefs

No comments:

Post a Comment