Sunday 15 January 2012

Creamy Vegan Broccoli and Rice Casserole

Vegan Broccoli and Rice Casserole

Thanksgiving is just three days away, and I don?t know where all my time went. Well, actually, I do know how I used some of it: making this casserole, twice, to get it just right so that if you decide to include it in your holiday meal, you can be sure it will work. And it will! It?s my new favorite dish, though my family won?t allow me to make it for Thanksgiving because they just had it twice in the same week. But that shouldn?t stop you from putting this delicious yet nutritious casserole on your holiday table.

The standard broccoli-rice casserole usually contains white rice, chicken, cheese, and sometimes cream cheese, so the nutritional benefits of the broccoli get lost in a sea of cholesterol, simple carbs, and fat. Even vegan versions often contain Daiya or some other high-fat, processed vegan cheese, but not mine. There?s no cheese at all, and the only fat comes from seeds and nuts, which you can even leave out if you want.

The first time I made the casserole, I used chickpeas and some Lotus Foods Madagascar Pink rice (a swag-bag gift at Vida Vegan Con). It?s a quick-cooking, lightly milled rice that looks almost red when it?s cooked, as you can see in my photos. The second time I made it, I used ordinary brown rice and soy curls instead of chickpeas, and if I were going to serve this to non-vegans, that?s the combination I would choose. It?s not an elegant dish, but then again, neither is stuffing or sweet potato casserole. It?s the kind of rich, comfort food I look forward to at Thanksgiving?without all the fat and calories.

So what are you serving? I?ll be traveling to my parents? house with a green bean casserole, a double-layer pumpkin cheesecake, and a still-undecided protein dish (timbales? baked tofu? seitan cutlets?) with mushroom gravy. My mother will be handling the rest of the meal, which will include her cornbread dressing, my lemon pie (made with home-grown lemons), and, I hope, cranberry relish. It will be a feast of family and food! I hope your holiday is just as happy.

Vegan Broccoli and Rice Casserole made with Madagascar Pink rice

Stay In The Loop!

Be notified when there are new recipes by subscribing to RSS or Email Updates.

Source: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/FatfreeVeganBlog/~3/pGPtUOjE2tI/creamy-vegan-broccoli-and-rice-casserole.html

Home Cooking Recipes Cooking Cooking Light Cooking Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment