Thursday 12 January 2012

Tomato Coconut Curry with vegetables

Tomato Week II: Tomatwo continues with a post that?s gloriously appropriate for a Wednesday. See, today?s post is not a recipe. I?d love to have a recipe here for tomato coconut curry, but I made a curry five different times with vastly different results each time. One great, three fair (one of which was a peanut sauce instead) and one not good. I will give you a nice ingredient list to start from should you decide to make try it yourself.

I did not make this curry. But someone did and liked it. Check it out at http://resourcefulcook.com/recipes/view/9s68j-spicy-chickpea-curry

2 cans coconut milk
1 can diced tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste (particularly if you use light coconut milk)
curry spices
vegetables, legumes, and/or nuts

Okay! So there ya go! Simmer all of those together and you have a really nice coconut curry. Of course, the spices part is the trickiest. I tried tablespoons and teaspoons of spices separately; I tried ?curry powder?; I tried a combination of the two. And I can?t tell you what to do. But here are the spice essentials:

turmeric
cumin
coriander
paprika
ginger
cayenne
cardamom
garlic

Some combination of those is the right one, but I don?t know what it is (heavier on the first two, I do know that). Also,� some international groceries have pre-measured ?Indian curry?�spice packets, so look for those. But don?t rely on a curry blend from a jar alone; you?ll get a really bland curry. Trust me on that one.

After you?ve figured out that part, add vegetables. I like�some sliced carrots that have been lightly roasted, small, thinly-sliced squares of tofu (or paneer, if you can find it), some chunks of onion (sauteed) and whatever else you like. For example, I?ve added chickpeas and cashews to my curry and really liked it.

Or?and this is what I recommend?order a curry from a restaurant (my favorite is Woodlands)�and save �your diced tomatoes for something else.

This entry was posted in Fun. Bookmark the permalink.

Source: http://lesleyeats.com/2011/12/14/tomato-coconut-curry-with-vegetables/

What\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s Cooking Healthy Eating Cook Raw Love Cooking

No comments:

Post a Comment