Tuesday 10 January 2012

Chase Away the Winter Blues with Fresh Herbs

I find the winter ?blues? typically hit me right after the holidays.� The days are short, the temps are cold and unfortunately we?ve still got a few months before it begins to warm up and the first signs of spring appear.� One of the things I miss during the cold weather is the abundant availability of fresh herbs I have in the summer.� During the warmer weather it?s easy to grow them in pots on the back porch or in the garden?not so in sub-freezing temperatures.

This year I decided to give one of those indoor herb gardens a try after seeing them as part of a post-holiday sale.� The version I got contained basil, oregano, parsley and cilantro, but there are some that have up to 12 different herbs included.� In fact, you can order some that already have the herbs grown so that you just maintain the existing plant.� Since I just started my garden, I don?t have any herbs for use yet, but I?m definitely looking forward to a little taste of spring when they?re grown!

If you?re not familiar with using fresh herbs, it?s very simple and worth exploring.� I love adding fresh basil to salads, especially those that include tomatoes.� Salsa and guacamole aren?t the same without fresh cilantro and chopped, fresh parsley is the perfect touch to many pasta, fish and chicken dishes.� I?m including a recipe for Easy Vegetable Focaccia from the Fruits & Veggies?More Matters recipe database.� It calls for either dried or fresh oregano and basil?definitely go with the fresh versions of these herbs, you?ll love the added flavor!

See all posts

No comments yet.

Source: http://www.fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org/?p=23102

Best Recipes Top Chefs Raw Food Culinary Degrees

No comments:

Post a Comment